What is Drug Addiction?
Drug addiction is defined as a chronic, relapsing, and complex brain disorder characterized by compulsive drug seeking and drug use despite negative consequences. Chronic use of drugs and alcohol can cause long-lasting changes in the brain that often cannot be changed or improved without evidence-based treatment at a drug rehab center. Many people who suffer from addiction need professional treatment to safely withdraw from drugs and to learn skills that can help them effectively manage stress and stay sober long term.
What is Science-Based Drug Addiction Treatment?
If you think that you or a loved one may be suffering from drug addiction, receiving science-based drug addiction treatment is key to experiencing a safe, long-term recovery. Science-based addiction treatments are carefully evaluated in clinical trials and thoroughly tested for safety and efficacy before being used to treat patients with drug use disorders.
Drug addiction treatment combines FDA-approved medications with behavioral therapies and may also include medically supervised detox if patients are physically dependent on one or more substances. Science-based treatments for drug addiction may include:
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy to help patients identify and change harmful attitudes and behaviors related to drug use
- Motivational enhancement therapy to motivate patients to change their behavior, stay in treatment, and stay sober long term
- Contingency management interventions to help patients stay sober by rewarding them with various incentives and vouchers when they practice positive behaviors
- 12-step facilitation therapy, such as Narcotics Anonymous, to provide social support and to promote abstinence from drugs and alcohol
- Family therapy to improve family dynamics and to help families build healthier home environments
- Pharmacotherapy to reduce withdrawal symptoms, help patients stay in treatment, and to prevent relapse
- Dual diagnosis therapy to help patients overcome co-occurring mental health disorders such as depression and anxiety
Drug Addiction Treatment at California Rehab Campus
California Rehab Campus customizes its inpatient residential rehab program for each patient based on factors such as age, the drug being used, and co-occurring disorders to ensure a successful, long-lasting recovery from addiction. We use only evidence-based treatments to keep our patients safe and to ensure they leave our facility with the skills they need to achieve long-term sobriety. We also offer high-quality amenities and services to complement our science-based treatments, including recreational therapy, nutrition therapy, fitness centers, and meditation.