Addiction as a Mental and Physical Illness
The outdated notion of addiction as a moral failing is something that all research categorically refutes. A doctor can scan the brain of someone suffering from drug addiction and see the physical differences that addiction causes. However, there is more to addiction than the idea that it’s a brain disease. This fact does not lead to negative judgment, but greater empathy that can allow rehab centers to treat addiction on a deeper level.
Addiction does not correlate with moral character, but it does have a close correlation with trauma and depression. It’s easy to draw a circumstantial link between these social ills and hardships, but the evidence backs it up as well.
One study revealed that therapy had a powerful effect in preventing relapse in people who suffered from alcohol addiction. We’ve used the evidence to craft a compassionate, comprehensive philosophy of addiction rehabilitation combined with science-based care techniques. One of the most important elements of our addiction rehabilitation program is the emphasis on individualization.
You or your loved one may benefit from treatment at a drug rehab center if the following signs and behaviors are present:
- You’ve been using higher doses of drugs for longer than initially intended.
- You’ve been planning to quit using, but prior attempts to quit have been unsuccessful.
- You devote lots of time to using drugs and recovering from the effects.
- You frequently experience strong cravings for drugs.
- Drug use is causing you to experience problems with family, friends, school, and work.
- Drug use has landed you in dangerous, risky situations.
- You keep using drugs despite knowing that doing so is causing problems with family, friends, school, and work.
- You keep using drugs despite knowing they are causing serious health problems or worsening existing health conditions.
- You’ve stopped engaging in your favorite activities so you can use drugs instead.
- You’ve had to use higher amounts of drugs to feel the effects.
- You experience withdrawal symptoms when abruptly stopping drug use or when using smaller amounts.
What Other Qualities Make Addiction Treatment Effective?
Drug rehab programs should be customized for each patient based on their unique problems and needs given how addiction affects each person differently. Though most science-based treatments are standardized and developed in a way that makes them effective for everyone, not everyone needs the same treatments. For instance, dual diagnosis therapy is a science-based treatment for patients with a co-occurring mental illness, but not all patients with drug use disorders suffer from a comorbid mental illness and need this treatment.
Here are other key principles of effective addiction treatment, according to the National Institute on Drug Abuse:
Medications are an important treatment element for many patients, especially when combined with behavioral therapies — since many patients with drug use disorders also have co-occurring mental health disorders.
Treatment should be available immediately and readily accessible — this can help prevent the disease from progressing and reduce the risk for serious adverse events like drug overdose.
Medically supervised detox is only the first stage of addiction treatment and manages the physical symptoms of withdrawal; behavioral therapy is critical to helping patients stay abstinent long term.
Treatment programs that last at least 3 months should be available at drug rehab, as this is the amount of time associated with the best outcomes.
Treatment plans should be modified as needed to meet a patient’s changing needs, especially when treatments being currently used are not helping the patient recover.
Individualized Treatment Programs
California Rehab Campuses employs customized treatment for each and every client based on individualized assessment.
When someone needs more hands-on support to overcome their addictions, we can offer residential care. The patient will stay in our facility with a supportive, understanding community where our highly trained staff administer care. This includes group and solo therapy sessions, support mechanism building, family counseling, and more.
Put Your Faith in California Rehab Campus
Get Your RECOVERY Started Today!
Dual Diagnosis and
Drug addiction often becomes deeply intertwined with mental health issues, but we’re ready for anything. Our trained and accredited staff are deeply familiar with all of the major issues that drive people to rehab, such as: